Friday, January 25, 2013

Naked Eggs

While once again looking around Pintrest I found what is called a Naked Egg.  It was an egg, still in egg shape (and raw), with no shell.  That caught my interest pretty quick.  I followed the link to the original site and read the article.  Put an egg in vinegar and let is soak for 12-24 hours, and the shell will dissolve.  Here's why: "The shell of an egg (typically a chicken egg) is made up of primarily calcium carbonate. If you soak this egg shell in vinegar (which is about 4% acetic acid), you start a chemical reaction that dissolves the calcium carbonate shell. The acetic acid reacts with the calcium carbonate in the egg shell and releases carbon dioxide gas that you see as bubbles on the shell.
The egg insides remain intact and are held together by the two fragile membranes just inside the shell."

And guess what?  I could do this at home!!!

I grabbed an egg, put it in vinegar, and soon bubbles started forming on the shell.


After a few hours I could see parts of the shell floating on top of the vinegar as it dissolved.  The shell itself was slimy whenever I poked it, from the shell dissolving.  It was so cool!

14 hours later (at 5 am, yes I was up at that time for a short while getting Zach out the door to work) I carefully poured out the vinegar, and rinsed the egg under running water.  I was left with a thin layer of white that still needed to dissolve.  So back into the cup it went with some fresh vinegar.


4 hours and 45 minutes later it was ready to be carefully rinsed off, it was where I could carefully rub off the rest of the white stuff.  I could start to see the membranes, and yolk and such.  It was slightly squishy.  It was soo fun!!  But I rubbed too hard and it burst in my hands as I was rinsing it.  Sad sad day!!  The egg whites all went down the drain but I was able to catch the yolk (which was fun to slighly squish before breaking it, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.  But then again I am easily entertained) and hang on to the membrane.



I am determined to make this work.  I am going to be revisiting this one in the future.  I am just going to wait awhile, because I need to save what vinegar I have for other purposes.  I'll let you know when I get this working.  Supposedly you can bounce the egg (lightly), you can color it, you can shrink it, and then regrow it.  It is gonna be pretty awesome!

3 comments:

  1. Haha! That looks SO cool!! We're going to have to try that sometime... I guess Caleb actually had a chicken lay an shell-less egg one time, which was very weird.. or perhaps she was conducting her own experiment! ;) hee!
    I love the new blog background! Super cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool, I didn't know you could do that. I'm going to have to try it out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did this last year for my son's science experiment. Don't try to rub it; just let it sit longer (we did it for 2-3 days). It will deflate once you remove it and let it air out. Just be careful: the longer it soaks in ANY liquid, the more it absorbs and gets bigger, hence the membrane gets thinner. I learned the hard way; took it to school and as I was taking it out (it was REALLY swollen), it BURST ALL OVER THE TEACHER'S DESK!!! Thankfully, it was all vinegar by then and the yolk didn't break. I love that teacher!

    ReplyDelete