Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Ombré Valentines Part 1

I was looking for fun Valentines crafts on Pinterest when I came across some beautiful ombré Valentines.

I fell in love with them and had to give them a try. While mine didn't turn out like the original crafter's did I love them.

Sadly I didn't get pictures of the process, but I did get pictures of the finished (mostly at least) boards.

The first thing I had to do was cut down my white mat board.  I pulled out my cutting mat, X-acto knives, a straight edge and went to town.  Not as easy as I had thought it would be.  Wish I had a mat board cutter.  Then I could have the nice beveled edge, the edges would be smooth and straight the whole way down.  But they didn't turn out too wobbly.  Some were actually pretty straight.

Once I had my boards cut down to roughly 5x7 sizes I started to gather up my other supplies: paper towels, water colors, paint brushes, two cups of water, and severly bruised toes... I was holding my cutting mat and the roll of paper towels under one arm (I used the cutting mat to help carry the little bits of scraps I trimmed off of the boards as I was cutting them to size) when the mat slipped.  There was an almost instant line across a couple of my toes it hit so hard.  So I had to add an ice pack to the list of needed supplies.

Once I had everything set up, including my foot on an ice pack, I pulled out my phone to double check the instructions on how to do this project.  I wanted to have a pin win and not a Pinstrosity, so I reread the instructions.  After the review I added water to my water colors, picked up the first pice of mat board and flooded it with water like the instructions said.  Easy peasy.  Then I grabbed my narrow brush, loaded it with paint, and ran it across the top of my board.  Simple enough.  Tilt the board upright, and touch the bottom to the paper towels so the water and paint will wick downwards.  That is where I started to have issues.  My mat board had absorbed the water too quickly, the paint hardly ran down the board.  So after a moment I grabbed my big brush loaded it with good clean water and carefully added the water to the top of the board.  Voila!  It worked beautifully.  The paint did exactly as it was supposed to!  Success!!  Once the water and paint had wicked down to the bottom of the board I set it aside and proceeded with the other boards, and a few different colors.   While not all of the boards did exacly what they were supposed to they all turned out really fun!


This is the first one I did.  It was perfect, loved it!  Sadly couldn't quite replicate it on the other boards.











I tried using the other side of the board than I had with the others.  It absorbed so much faster than any other board.  I couldn't get this to run as far.



Now the real test on wheather or not this becomes a Pinstrosity is if I can get the writing to look good.  My handwriting is not all that great, so I am really afraid I am going to mess these up.  We will see what happens in part number 2, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Great jog Carolyn, those look great. I'm excited to see what you do for the words. Thanks for linking up to the Pinstrosiversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look beautiful! Looking forward to part 2!

    ReplyDelete