Thursday, May 1, 2014

Seeing through my child's eyes

The other day I decided a walk sounded really nice.  I stuck James in the stroller, had Wyler walk by me, and we headed out the door.  I directed Wyler to our mail box, but after that I let him pick the route.  Once we were along a road with a nice wide area to walk along side I let Wyler have a little more freedom.  He loved being able to just go and explore at his own pace.



He saw a butterfly just on the other side of the fence, so he had to stop and watch it for awhile.

Because James was stuck in the stroller Wyler made sure he always had something on his try to explore too.


Wyler insisted that that isn't an irrigation canal, it is a bath tub.
I loved seeing the world through his eyes.  Normally I would have walked past so many of the things that caught his eye.  I would have been more concerned with how far I could walk in an allotted amount of time, or something else like that.  I would have missed out on the butterfly, the "bathtub", tree.  I would not have stopped to smell the roses, literally, that were growing so beautifully at the edge of a yard we passed.  I need to go on more walks like this one.  We went down to where the train tracks cross 1st Ave.  Wyler loved being able to stand on them, and look down as far as he could.  He just about set off to walk along them, but I had to be the spoil sport.  Here was a railroad worker there working on the arms that block the road when a train comes.  When he saw how obsessed Wyler was with the tracks he tried to offer Wyler a cool hat, but Wyler didn't go for it (he isn't the biggest hat fan).  I am wishing now that I went ahead and took it anyway to give him when he's older.  He did not want to leave the tracks, so I had to balance him on the handlebar of the stroller and whisk him away home so James could take his nap.

That weekend Zach and one of his friends, Scott, did some work on my pantry/laundry room.  Wyler was thrilled that he got to be out there most of the day with them.

After they carried the door out the started to do some hammering right at the door frame.  Wyler jumped right in on the action with his little plastic hammer.

Staying up late to install the sink

There is still a lot of work to be done, but we have to take a break.  Zach has been hired to weld a large set of gates and rails.  Once they are done it's back to the pantry.

Grandma Darla found an awesome double stroller at a second hand store in Tuscon for us.  I love this thing!  I don't have a picture of the exact one she gave us, but I'll share the one from the Graco website so you can see how awesome it is. (go check out the video on that link to see all the awesome things it does!)  The back seat can be removed to reveal a bench seat.  Also there is a platform for a child to stand on, if they don't want to use the bench seat.  It is light weight, and maneuvers very well.  The sun visors and cup holders are removable, so it folds down fairly small (for a double stroller).

Ok, so this is a pic of it from the Walmart website, but I couldn't get he one from the Graco website to come up here...

I put together a couple of fun activities for Wyler to do today.  I am not going to go into too much detail here, as Diedre said she might put them up on her blog Playing to Learn, I'll let you know if/when it happens.  If either one, or both, don't get posted there I'll do another post here.  But I will give you some sneak peaks!



And last thing, nothing too important, but fun for me non the less... we recently bough a rosemary plant, and though it is still pretty small I am already benefiting from it.  My house was pretty rotten smelling (old mushrooms I threw away because they were stinking up my fridge, but then I didn't think how it would affect the rest of my kitchen).  I threw a couple sprigs fresh rosemary, a sliced lemon, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a dash of vanilla into a pot of water on the stove.  I have had it on low heat all day and my house smells heavenly!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you and pleased with the mother and homemaker you are. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

    ReplyDelete