Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Giving Plate

I recently started to participate in the Iron Crafter challenges from Just Crafty Enough.  Every two weeks we are giving a theme and the day before the new theme is revealed everyone shares what the made.

The theme for the past two weeks was "A dollar, a euro, a pound..."  We were to create something mainly using supplies from the dollar store.

I saw The Giving Plate on Pinterest awhile back and thought it would be something really fun to make lots of and give to family and friends throughout the year.

I hit the Dollar Tree looking for plain white ceramic plates.  I left with a plain white plate, a fun rainbow plate, and a plastic red and white plate.  I had to hit Walmart to get the Sharpie paint pen (from what I've read they work a lot better than a regular Sharpie).



Once I had a few minutes to put it together I preheated the oven to 350 degrees.

I then wrote The Giving Plate poem on all the plates.

"This plate shall have no owner for its journey never ends,
It travels in a circle of our family and friends.
It carries love from home to home for everyone to share,
The food that's placed upon it was made with love and care.
So please enjoy what's on the plate
Then fill it up again,
Then pass along the love it holds to your family and friends."

I put the ceramic plates in the oven for 35 minutes and I set the plastic plate off to the side to dry.

I when the 35 minutes were up I turned off the oven, and left the plates in until they were completely cooled.



I decided to do a test wash to see how the marker held up, and it stayed!

And here are the finished plates!


1 comment:

  1. I have been wanted to try those paint pens on some ceramic dollar store dishes! Now you've inspired me....

    ReplyDelete