Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Iron Crafting + Pinstrosity Challenge = Crumb Topped Apple PIe

For my birthday Theron and Darla gave me a beautiful stoneware pie dish.  Of course I instantly started itching to make pies.  However I had to decide what kind of pie did I want.  A savory pie like chicken pot pie, or spaghetti pie?  Or what about sweet: chocolate or apple or such?  I flipped through cookbooks, I looked to Pinterest.  Too many yummy things to choose from!

Then I learned the themes for Pinstrosity's and Iron Crafter's first challenges of the year:

Pinstrosity's January Challenge is "A is for..... anything!"  It could be an item that starts with the letter A, or a color, or the material it is made from, or how ever you want to take that.  We are instructed to "Browse through your Pinterest boards, and then your sister's Pinterest boards, and then your high school BFF's Pinterest boards, and then your cat's previous owner's Pinterest boards, and then even the Official Pinstrosity Challenge Pinterest Board (we'll be adding ideas to it all the time) and find pins that fit the theme that inspire you. They can be food, decor, costumes, aprons, painting color schemes, etc. This month's theme leaves things wide open!"  Then we are to do the pin(s) we liked and send in the results, good or bad.

The first Iron Crafter challenge of the year is based on the traditional gifts for a 4 year anniversary (as this is the 4th year they have done the Iron Crafter challenges).  The traditional gifts are fruit or flowers, and the modern gift is appliances.

So something that starts with A, and has to do with fruit, flowers, or appliances.

That settled it.  Apple Pie was on the menu!  I pulled out my new Taste of Home cook book and flipped to the crumb topped apple pie recipe I wanted to try.  Then figured if I am sending it in to Pinstrosity I needed to find the pin... luckily it wasn't too hard to find on the Taste of Home website.

Doesn't that look simply scrumptious?

Here is mine:



We have been trying to cut processed foods out of our diet, so we don't have shortening.  And I haven't bought me any lard to use.  My butter pie crusts haven't turned out as well yet.  So I decided to try coconut oil (in its solid state), since it works well in my biscuit recipe.  Not going to try that again... The coconut oil didn't combine as nicely into the flour, and the crust was super tough.  My butter crusts turn out better.

Everything else I did just as the recipe says.  (Well I kinda patted the crumb topping after I sprinkled it on, so it didn't look as crumb like).

And it was super delicious!!  A major Pin Win in my opinion!

(Iron Crafters, does baking count as crafting?)

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I do consider baking and cooking a craft for the Iron Craft challenges! This is making me want to make a pie. I buy my crust dough from a place here that makes it with lard and it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, apple pie! The discussion of alternate fats is very helpful -- I'm not super-happy with my butter pie crusts either and thought I was alone in this, but for some completely forgotten reason, back in my early 20s, I rejected shortening.

    What are Iron Craft challenges? A superficial Googling didn't give me any results that seemed right, but my morning coffee is only just kicking in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Iron Craft challenges come from justcraftyenough.com. Every two weeks we are given a theme to do a project from. The themes can be a color, season, holiday, crafting material, etc. We then share pictures of our finished project on the flikr site https://www.flickr.com/groups/ironcraft/

      Delete