Friday, January 2, 2015

Monthly Missions

Instead of having New Year's resolutions, or a 101 things to do list, or a yearly theme/word I am going to take it one month at a time.

I am going to have a theme/virtue/word/habit of the the month that I focus on.  I am not going to plan all 12 months out now.  I am going to take it one month at a time.  During the last week of the month I am planning on evaluating where I am at in life, and seeing what I need to focus on the most, and that will be my next Monthly Mission.


For the month of January I am focusing on Patience.  I actually started this half way through December, but it is one I am still needed much improvement on.  Mostly in the parenting department.
All to often I find myself snapping and yelling at the boys.  I hate it.  I hate being mad/frustrated at them so often.

I was afraid to work on patience.  It seems that when I strive to improve a habit/virtue/etc. God gives me more opportunities to work on my issue.  Even though I feel like if I am given any more opportunities I'll snap and need to be put in a nut house.  I didn't want to have more opportunities to be patient.  I didn't want more opportunities to fail and yell at the boys.  I didn't feel like it was fair to them.

But my level of impatience wasn't fair to them either.  After several nudges and promptings from Heavenly Father, I realized I could take a really long time to learn patience the way I was going.  Or I could go through a relatively short refiner's fire and be better for it.  I could have the patience I need sooner.  After much thought and prayer I decided to go for it.

I have been reading quotes and scriptures on patience.  I've been finding articles about how to be a more patient Mommy and reading through them.

What are you working on this year/month/week?

1 comment:

  1. You can do this! You have your hands full with two darling, busy, sweet, busy, funny, busy, delightful, busy boys. And, you handle it amazingly. I'm really proud of you. Remember "The Power of Positive Parenting". I promise it will work for your family. I love you.

    ReplyDelete